7.08.2011

Discipline

Tegan likes to pick at things. He likes to pick at stickers, paint, wallpaper, food, you name it. In our previous home he picked at a tiny hole in the wall in his bedroom. As he picked at it the paint disappeared around the area more every day until it was massive. Now as we are in another place he decided he wanted to try it again. There was a small area above the stairs that was missing a little paint due to moving furniture. What did Tegan do? He decided he needed to pick at it again. He has spent many times on the time-out stool. #1 for doing the act that I have told him multiple times not to do. and #2 for not cleaning up his mess. I have set the timer for him to clean it up and if it is not cleaned up then he sits in time-out. Then I try to get him to do it again.
Obviously this has become an endless cycle that I am very tired of. David today will try to patch the whole so Tegan will not be tempted since he just has to do it. I blame it on his OCD. Yes my child is 3 almost 3 1/2 and he is OCD has been for a long time. He definitely didn't get it from me.
So now I ask what should I do? The discipline isn't working and I am tired of looking at his mess since I refuse to pick it up. That just won't work in the discipline process.
I will gladly take any advice. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I ran into some discipline trouble with Anna just yesterday! The thing is she rarely see's me very angry. I'm not a yeller. She can tell when I'm annoyed and I can get stern, but not MAD. So yesterday when she had done something I was positive I NEVER wanted to happen again I said, okay this is it, I'm going to get mad hahaha. She was completely stunned. She got time-out for 30 minutes, and I took every fun thing away from her she had for the entire day. She was bored all day long, sh e couldn't have any treats and whined about it the whole time and kept apologizing. Later in the day she was being so good I almost gave in and gave her a cookie but I stuck with it and she woke up this morning like "Mom! I'm sorry I didn't listen yesterday. I need to listen to you and not.." do such and such. It completely got her attention! Hopefully I won't have to do things that way again, but when it's something that I have zero tolerance for anymore, it's go big or go home with the punishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sit there with him and do it. Make sure he's working as you do it, but he may need to see how it's done too. Cole's pretty OCD, but it can work for you. Once he starts picking something up, he feels like he HAS to finish it, so maybe you'll get lucky with Teg and he'll have that idea too. I can't stand parents who just do it FOR their kids because it leads to entitled kids, but doing it next to him teaches him and that's the point of DISCIPLINE, because it is discipline and not punishment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...